Good morning, welcome to our live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic today.
Here’s a look at the top headlines from the past 24 hours:
- NSW recorded nine new locally acquired cases on Christmas Day, including six people in one household. Almost 40,000 people were tested.
- NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian revealed the changes to the state’s lockdown restrictions for the next few days, with the northern beaches reverting to pre-Christmas stay-at-home orders.
- Victoria celebrated recording zero new cases on Boxing Day, while Queensland reported one new case in hotel quarantine.
- Shoppers were urged to avoid hitting the city streets for Boxing Day sales yesterday, with crowds reduced to just a trickle in the Sydney CBD for what is usually a bustling day of trade for retailers. It was a similar story in Melbourne, with the annual sales day off to a subdued start.
- Australian golfing legend Greg Norman appears to have been struck down by COVID-19, posting a selfie to Instagram from his hospital bed.