The announcement of the rule changes last month sparked a backlash, with former Australia captain Michael Clarke calling them ‘‘garbage’’ during an appearance on the Big Sports Breakfast.
Shane Watson said in a blog post the rules were ‘‘gimmicks’’ introduced in a ‘‘misguided attempt to reinvigorate the tournament’’.
Ferguson said the decisions needed to be questioned as he wanted the Big Bash to ‘‘thrive’’ not just ‘‘hang on’’.
‘‘I 100per cent believe that decisions like these need to be critiqued and that … the research has been done into these potential changes and that the key stakeholders, coaches, the players are included in these decisions,’’ he said. ‘‘I’m not sure that necessarily happened this time around.’’
Earlier this year, Shane Warne argued the tournament was also too long and should be reduced to 10 weeks. ‘‘After 10 weeks, the competition, I believe, is too long. It’s still a couple of weeks too long. I think you could probably condense it,’’ he said.
Ferguson also questioned whether the tournament was too long. ‘‘I think if the fans are saying that the tournament’s potentially too long, we need to listen,’’ he said. ‘‘We want everyone desperate for each game that’s played.’’
Despite his opinion, Ferguson said he was going into the season with a ‘‘positive’’ mindset and that the Thunder would use the changes to their advantage. The Thunder start their season against the Melbourne Stars on Saturday.
The club heads into the season off the back of a successful WBBL campaign. Last month, the women picked up their second title win.
‘‘I look at it as a good omen,’’ Ferguson said. ‘‘The last time the women won the tournament, the men did too so I’m hopeful that’ll be the case again this season. We’re hopeful we can learn as much as we can from them in how to manage a hub environment.’’