The 39-year-old Swiss told local media this month that his recovery was behind schedule, but Tiley said he had been in touch with the 20-times Grand Slam champion, who had begun his usual pre-season training block in Dubai.
“He said to us that February 8 was a more suitable date for him in terms of preparing for the Australian Open,” Tiley added. “But a lot will depend on how he responds to his surgery in the next two to three weeks.”
The tournament will charter flights to bring all the main draw players to Australia, with qualifying taking place in Dubai and Doha.
Players would undergo regular COVID-19 testing in Australia and be allowed to train for up to five hours a day, something that Tiley said had been a deal breaker.
“We would not be in a position to run the Australian Open if the players were required to stay in their hotel room for two weeks,” he said.
The tournament would be played in front of crowds, with Tiley expecting them to be around 50% of the 840,000 that attended this year’s tournament.
“We do expect to have good crowds,” he said. “But this is not a year that we try to beat numbers.”