Race 2 – 1.15PM RACING CARNIVAL ESCAPES HCP (1012m)
4. Makuba looks well suited here on the back of a couple of top efforts over the short course on varying track conditions. Led on a heavy last time and reeled in late. Drawn nicely and firmer track will suit. Hard to see him not being a major player.
Dangers: 11. Zapluck only meets Makuba 1kg better for almost a length defeat at Kempsey last time but he’s also now put two solid performances together. It has been a while between wins now but gate one gives him every chance. 1. Capannello has the blinkers on for the first time and that might help him snap a run of outs stretching back to April. Did have his chance at Taree last start but with the shades on could lift. 8. Slice Of Heaven disappointed first-up at Coffs then always well back in a fast run Highway at Randwick. Forgiving the latest and while she’s only lightly raced and, nicely drawn here, she’s capable of improving.
How to play it: Makuba WIN; Trifecta 4/1,8,11/1,8,11. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 3 – 1:50PM LA FLEUR D’ALYSE HANDICAP (1615m)
4. Saintly Sunrise suggested he’d come back well with a nice first-up effort here then stayed at 1300m and didn’t get into it in a pretty solid Highway at Randwick. Maiden win was at this trip at Wyong and should be fitter for two runs from a long break. Each-way chance.
Dangers: 2. Greenskeeper won well first-up at Port Macquarie then fair to say he’s had his chance in two thirds since then. Ridden closer at Mudgee last time, may get back and look to hit the line from the wider gate here. 8. Paavo is the probable leader given the way he reacted to being allowed to stride at Gunnedah two weeks ago in his best effort this time in. Could take some running down. 5. Lucitor looked as though he was only getting warm second-up at 1400m at Mudgee so the mile will be in his favour. Might just want that bit further but if they overdo it he’d come into play.
How to play it: Saintly Sunrise E/W. Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Race 4 – 2:25PM J SOCIETY HANDICAP (1315 METRES)
1. Baileys found himself in front first-up at Tuncurry and went down fighting there. Slight distance drop is some concern as both wins to date are at a mile but a promising return and he can only run well.
Dangers: 2. Rest Of The World might appreciate a small distance increase on his recent couple in Queensland. Settled a clear last at Ipswich and was very strong late into fourth. Probably has to go back again but if there’s enough pace it’ll suit him. 5. Misterzee has been competitive without winning this time in and seemed to have every chance in the same race as Baileys when third at Tuncurry as a well backed favourite. Can’t leave out but becoming costly. 6. Jakuta wasn’t asked for a whole lot in his only trial this time in so watch betting for a pointer. He generally runs a nice race first-up and while best form is on a heavy track he could sneak into the placings.
How to play it: Baileys E/W. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 5 – 3:05PM COUNTRY TO COAST PEST CONTROL PLATE (1415m)
4. Gilded Crown did more than enough first-up for the new stable when a closing second at Gunnedah two weeks ago. Has to be fitter for it and shapes as though the extra 100m or so will be a plus. Drawn well and should feature.
Dangers: 8. Scenic Sunrise didn’t do a whole lot on debut but improved sharply second-up when running on from well back into third at Ballina. Was beaten five lengths but gets an extra 155m so no surprise if he runs on into a placing at least. 13. Tickle Me Scarlett has started big odds at both appearances to date and produced a much better effort to run second at Mudgee a few weeks ago. Drawn one again so has the chance to hold that form. 10. Lasting Grace has made hard work of it in both runs this time in but stuck to her guns to run third on both occasions. Trickier gate to contend with here but if she puts it together she’s a good chance.
How to play it: Gilded Crown WIN; Trifecta 4/8,10,13/8,10,13. Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Race 6 – 3:40PM SAWTELL HOTEL HANDICAP (1012 METRES)
2. Fantini showed some promise in the southern districts earlier this year and resumes for local stable with an impressive Moree trial win under her belt where she beat a couple of well- performed horses. If she can stay in touch from gate one she should be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 1. Ciao Uno is the logical horse to beat and she may be suited coming back in trip after being found out at 1200m at her past couple. Explosive over 1100m first-up, should be right on the speed and the one to get past. 7. Maasai Mara has been working home pretty well in similar contests of late. Interestingly led over this track and trip first-up from a break and was placed. Versatile and has an each-way hope. 4. The Neon Knight broke through in strong style first-up at Tuncurry after sitting on the speed. Wide gate a minus but if she can get across onto the pace she could easily measure up.
How to play it: Fantini WIN; Trifecta 1,2/1,2,4,7/1,2,4,7. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 7 – 4:15PM VELVETS ON JETTY HANDICAP (1012 METRES)
1. Standing Bear bumped into a slick one first-up then not disgraced here second-up before a sound enough effort off a wide gate in a Highway at Randwick. Has the favours this time at the barrier, right back in class and entitled to go close.
Dangers: 2. Qadira Star won brilliantly fresh on a heavy track last prep then was a little disappointing in two subsequent starts on good ground. No public trials so betting a good guide. Suspect she might want a wet track to be most effective but have to include. 3. Fu Hao looked to have a bit in hand when resuming with an easy maiden win over this course five weeks ago. Kept fresh and drawn well so could easily handle the class rise. 11. Qukes produced her best effort for a while when she rushed into second place in a similar event last month. Was a $51 chance there but one to include in the trifectas.
How to play it: Standing Bear WIN; Trifecta 1/ 2,3,11/2,3,11. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 8 – 4:50PM LE DAIN DESIGNS SUMMER CUP (2015 METRES)
9. Lucky For Some doesn’t have the greatest strike rate but has been around the mark in similar races. Kept coming at Tuncurry last time when up 500m and meets the winner 1kg better. Good each-way chance in an open race.
Dangers: 6. Mighty Quinn put in a shocker when back 400m in trip at Gold Coast last time but form prior was pretty solid including a Ballina win at 1910m. Entitled to another chance. 1. Phylave put three together after breaking his maiden status at start 39 then probably outclassed at Newcastle in a BM64. Draws wide and has top weight but on previous form is a contender. 4. Political was a beaten favourite at his only attempt at this distance range and fair to say has been plain in two subsequent attempts. Best efforts have been on wet tracks so keep an eye on that.
How to play it: Lucky For Some E/W. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Race 9 – 5:30PM TWO TAILS WINES HANDICAP (1315 METRES)
3. Stonecold Flex is well placed to post an overdue win. Run down late here two starts back then served it up to the smart Another One and held on quite well just missing a place in a Highway. Should roll across onto the speed and be hard to run down.
Dangers: 2. Rubick’s Command defied a betting drift to score at start four at Gunnedah two weeks ago beating Gilded Crown, who runs earlier on this program. Drawn next to Stonecold Flex which could be a plus so has to be respected. 19. Chuisle is a good roughie who could find himself in the finish. Dropped in trip second-up at Gunnedah and hit the line when it was all over into fifth. The 1315m is much more to her liking and it wouldn’t shock to see her feature. 8. Resplendence hasn’t raced since July and only win has come on a heavy track but she stretched out nicely late in her recent trial and has performed OK fresh in the past. Keep an eye on betting but well worth including.
How to play it: Stonecold Flex WIN; Trifecta 3/2,8,19/2,8,19. Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Tips supplied by Racing NSW
Full form and race replays available at racingnsw.com.au