Queenslanders who returned from the Greater Sydney hotspot before 1am on Tuesday were still able to quarantine at home.
Assistant Commissioner Shane Chelepy said that while the majority of people were doing the right thing, others had shown disregard for the rules. These people were warned they could face fines and were likely to be placed in hotel quarantine at their own expense.
“People quarantining at a private address need to take their obligations seriously and stay at home,” Mr Chelepy said.
Police have now issued fines to five people for breaches across the past three days.
One, a 31-year-old man alleged to have left his accommodation on Stradbroke Island for a “walk on the beach”, received a $1334 fine and a room in hotel quarantine.
Another 31-year-old man, who was ordered to stay at home in the Cairns suburb of Woree, was not there when police came to check. He was allegedly found nearby and also fined and placed in the hotel system.
A 20-year-old Redland Bay woman received a $4003 fine for allegedly failing to declare her time in a hotspot, while a couple from Sydney’s Northern Beaches were handed similar fines for leaving their Main Beach accommodation on the Gold Coast to “visit a nearby beach”. They have since returned to NSW.
All five people returned a negative test result.
The details came after the reintroduction of hard road borders from Tuesday morning to monitor those streaming in from NSW. One Sydney woman allegedly tried to cross at two different Gold Coast checkpoints in the space of 15 minutes, before being turned around and fined $4003.
Lengthy delays again greeted those trying to drive into the state, with police again checking the border pass of every vehicle after only pulling down the checkpoints a few weeks ago. A total of 57 vehicles had been turned around as of 4pm on Monday.
The lines at fever clinics across parts of the state on Monday also doubled the 24-hour testing rate to 8265, up from just 4013 in the previous period.
The increase came amid concerns about virus detection in wastewater, and health alerts linked to a woman who tested positive after visiting a number of south-east Queensland sites last week.
Just 10 active cases remain in Queensland. NSW health authorities recorded seven new locally acquired cases linked to the Northern Beaches cluster on Tuesday, with one still under investigation.
A new public health directive was expected to be issued by Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young on Tuesday mandating the use of electronic check-in systems at venues and businesses from 1am on Wednesday, after paper logs frustrated contact-tracing efforts.
Matt Dennien is a reporter with Brisbane Times.