The infected yacht crew member is going to Cairns Hospital and the passengers and remaining crew are quarantined and being tested.

According to an online advertisement for the 74.5-metre vessel: “Lady E will be available for charter from the beginning of February in Australia and New Zealand. Her summer has been confirmed in the South Pacific.⁠”

The state’s second case on Friday was a south-east Queensland man who came back from Sydney’s northern beaches and tested positive in home quarantine after an initial negative test.

Ms D’Ath and Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young praised the man for his actions, including isolating at his home since his return.

He initially tested negative on December 18 after returning from NSW but remained in home isolation. After feeling unwell, he tested positive.

Ms D’Ath said the man’s actions were the “gold standard” expected of any person returning to Queensland after being in the greater Sydney hotspot.


There are now 53 close contacts of cases traced from the NSW cluster.

Ms D’Ath warned she believed there were other positive cases in Queensland due to sewerage testing showing virus fragments.

“Anyone who has been to those hotspots, again, Queensland is relying on you to quarantine. Queensland is relying on you to get tested and if you have any symptoms, to go back and get another test,” she said.

Anyone who feels unwell is being urged to get tested on Christmas Day, with fever clinics remaining open. It is now 100 days since Queensland had a locally acquired case of coronavirus in Queensland.


Almost 350 people have been refused entry into Queensland since the hard road border checkpoints at the NSW border were reintroduced two days ago.

Gold Coast Chief Superintendent Mark Wheeler said 159 vehicles had been turned away at the road border, containing 347 people.

More than 379,000 border pass applications have been made since the border pass system was reintroduced following the Sydney outbreak.

“Yesterday on the M1 we saw at 3pm a peak delay of about 90 minutes, in and around the Tweed back streets we’re seeing delays measured in hours, not minutes, and that’s unfortunate,” he said.

Superintendent Wheeler had strong words for people abusing police at checkpoints, saying officers who had been rostered off for Christmas were now working at the checkpoints.

“Bear in mind, a lot of police we have working here were going to have Christmas Day off, Boxing Day off, public holidays. They have been at this for 250 days straight. They have come back to try and help, so they are people you are abusing,” he said.

The SES has also rejoined the checkpoints to ease pressure on police, with ADF not assisting emergency services.

Most Viewed in National


Source link

Categories: Daily Updates


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *