The court heard that Mr Mannici and the alleged victim had been involved in an ongoing dispute about the dumping of rubbish.

Senior Constable Simon McCloskey from the armed crime squad said the alleged victim was leaving rubbish at the Ravenhall property, which is owned by Mr Mannici, on Wednesday morning when the elderly accused man approached him from behind.

The detective said Mr Mannici fired a shot which hit the man in the right upper arm, before a struggle broke out between the pair. The alleged victim was able to hold Mr Mannici’s right arm – which was holding the gun – up against the truck, he said.

Other people started to arrive at the site and one grabbed the gun, while others restrained Mr Mannici until police arrived. The alleged victim underwent surgery and remains in hospital.

The scene of the Ravenhall shooting.

The scene of the Ravenhall shooting.Credit:Nine News

Detective Senior Constable McCloskey said there had previously been an arrangement whereby the alleged victim would pay Mr Mannici to dump rubbish at his Ravenhall property, however there was a falling out and the man refused to pay.

Mr Mannici’s lawyer Tanya Skvortsova said her client came to Australia 70 years ago and was relied upon by his wife, children and grandchildren.

He has no prior criminal history and suffers from several medical conditions, including heart problems.

She said Mr Mannici had attended Sunshine police station in the weeks prior to the incident to complain about the rubbish dumping, as well as an alleged incident in which he said he had been assaulted by the complainant.

Detective Senior Constable McCloskey said police had seized the gun used in the incident and there were no concerns that Mr Mannici would have access to any other firearms.

Magistrate Kieran Gilligan granted bail due to Mr Mannici’s age, his lack of prior convictions, his significant health issues, the delay in the court system due to coronavirus and the fact the time spend on remand may exceed any sentence he would receive.

Mr Mannici has to reside at his home address, cannot leave Victoria, and is not allowed to speak to prosecution witnesses or go within 200 metres of the alleged victim.

The matter will next return to court on March 9.

Most Viewed in National

Loading



Source link

Categories: Daily Updates

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *