“I later discovered Fabricio had a lot of followers in Sydney watching his videos. All I could think of was someone would recognise my tattoo if I took my shirt off on the beach,” Brett told PS outside court this week. “I was in a pretty bad place when I first discovered the videos, I had a breakdown at work. I had to tell my friends and family about it … I’m still in counselling.”

He insists he had no idea about his former partner’s online activities until he heard about it from a friend. “I had no idea he was filming us. You can’t see my face in the videos and they were shot in the dark.”

Claudino, who was imprisoned on February 14 after breaching initial bail conditions (he did not declare he had changed his address) is now at the Villawood Immigration Detention Centre without a valid visa and will soon be deported to Brazil.

The good-looking Brazilian, who describes himself as a “super fan” of pop star Katy Perry, told the court he had no alternative but to post content on OnlyFans – charging subscribers $12.99 a month – because his tourist visa meant he was unable to generate an income. He came to Australia with a one-way ticket paid for by Brett, who he met during a holiday in Brazil, moving into his Sydney home until their relationship soured.

Claudino removed several videos featuring Brett after a fortnight, but Brett says he is not confident they have disappeared completely from the vastness of the internet.

Appearing from Villawood via video link, Claudino broke down in tears as his sentencing submissions were read out and the court heard about his life of poverty and a troubled upbringing in Sao Paulo.

Earlier he had unsuccessfully attempted to change his guilty plea to not guilty. He told the court he pleaded guilty based on legal advice from his former lawyer, prominent Sydney solicitor Brett Galloway. He believed the matter would be resolved swiftly, with the likelihood of a fine and deportation if he pleaded guilty, rather than waiting months in jail for a trial date.

Galloway did not respond to PS’s queries.

Claudino was sentenced to 11 months prison with a non-parole period of seven months, which has already been served.

London-based OnlyFans, which is owned by Fenix International Limited and was founded by Tim Stokely, has quickly ballooned into a billion-dollar online media powerhouse after launching in 2016. It features thousands of content creators – who promote their wares on other, more tame social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram – and subscribers around the world.

Vanessa Sierra has become a big star on OnlyFans.

Vanessa Sierra has become a big star on OnlyFans.Credit:Instagram

Fenix International takes a hefty 20 per cent commission on the revenue generated from each performer’s subscriptions, which can range from a few dollars to $50 a month. In return subscribers can demand more “customised” content.

Initially popular among sex workers and legacy porn stars, in more recent times it has become a money spinner for reality TV stars and social media “influencers”.

The Bachelorette’s Paddy Colliar and Love Island’s Vanessa Sierra – who is now dating tennis pro Bernard Tomic – share everything from saucy selfies to even more adult entertainment.

Earlier this year Rhyce Power, who shot to fame as Jessika Power’s “hot brother” on Married At First Sight, was reportedly one of the most prolific performers on OnlyFans, pocketing more than $50,000 from the site in just one month of posting racy selfies.

Perth Instagram model Jem Wolfie was identified by The New York Times as one of 2020s biggest stars on OnlyFans, sharing selfies and raking in millions of dollars in the process since joining the platform in 2018.

But beyond the big names, it is the thousands of “normal” people now using the site that Brett predicts are going to become sources for more litigation in the future. “I think this is just the tip of the iceberg,” he says. “When people realise what is being posted, and without their consent, it’s going to get very messy for a lot of people.”

*Brett is not his real name. He cannot be identified for legal reasons.

Carols controversy

Tensions around the Christmas table are not uncommon but PS can only hope Rhonda Burchmore is nowhere near the carving knife this year with the likes of Anthony Callea, Tim Campbell, Marina Prior, Silvie Paladino, David Hobson and Denis Walter.

Burchmore has been waging a one-woman war on Nine’s Carols By Candlelight, complaining to anyone who will listen that she has been snubbed by the event’s organisers. (Nine is the owner of this masthead.)

She wrote on Twitter: “I’m very disappointed that despite celebrating 40 years in the industry, I’ve been overlooked to perform at Carols by Candlelight once again. I’ve been part of the family for decades and I looked forward to bringing joy to families around.”

Rhonda Burchmore won't be carolling this year.

Rhonda Burchmore won’t be carolling this year. Credit:The Age

The “family” she refers to is Prior, Callea, Campbell, Paladino, Hobson and Walter, all stalwarts of the the annual schmaltz fest, however Carols by Candlelight organisers did point out to PS that La Burchmore had not been on the schedule for a decade now.

PS hears she has since been approached to perform in Sydney on rival Seven’s Carols In The Domain, which is being pre-recorded next week for its December 23 broadcast (the night before Carols by Candlelight goes to air live, without a crowd) but graciously declined the offer.

Organisers of Seven’s extravaganza have had their own worries too, not least with Hugh Sheridan, who is still scheduled to perform despite his recent breakdown and hospitalisation after being dumped from the production of Hedwig and the Angry Inch following an outcry over his casting as a transgender character.

Really warms the cockles, doesn’t it?

Carols By Candlelight "family" Marina Prior and David Hobson.

Carols By Candlelight “family” Marina Prior and David Hobson.Credit:Luis Ascui

Kerri-Anne steals the show

Having nailed the trapeze in a corset and heels, while singing upside down, high above the stage as she writhes about on the muscled torso of her very own strongman (hunky William Meager), the stand-out crowd favourite of the Sydney production of Pippin is without doubt Kerri-Anne Kennerley.

Not that the ultra-fit 67-year-old wants to take much credit.

“I can’t tell you enough just how wonderful that crew of young performers is … how supportive they are of each other and of me. It’s a very different culture to television,” KAK, who was unceremoniously dumped from morning talk show Studio 10 this year, diplomatically explained to PS.

Kerri-Anne Kennerley as Grandma with Pippin lead Ainsley Melham.

Kerri-Anne Kennerley as Grandma with Pippin lead Ainsley Melham.

“When I was first attempting the trapeze in rehearsals, the cast and crew were backstage watching on a monitor chanting, ‘You can do it Kerri-Anne.’ I’m having a ball, but as for what happens after that I’m not sure. I’ve got eight shows a week until the end of January, I’m just focused on getting through.”

Come on now KAK … Auntie Mame? Hello Dolly? Sunset Boulevard?

Most Viewed in Culture

Loading



Source link

Categories: Daily Updates

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *