Police claim the 25-year-old first breached quarantine rules shortly after landing by getting a friend to drive him to a drive-through outlet to get takeaway instead of going straight to his accommodation.
He then failed to wear a face mask when checking into the hotel and left his room a short time later to go to a supermarket and a convenience store.
Later that night, he breached quarantine again to go clubbing for five hours in Northbridge with the same friend that had driven him to get takeaway earlier in the day.
During an interview with police on December 12, he admitted he had also left his room to take photos at Elizabeth Quay.
“The man offered no valid or lawful reason for leaving the quarantine location and admitted to those breaches,” a police spokesman said.
The news of the man’s breach comes after a woman walked out of the Pan Pacific Hotel and roamed Perth for 12 hours at the weekend, sparking a city-wide search.
Jenny D’Ubios, 49, spent a day travelling around Perth, boarding a bus to Fremantle and heading to Warnbro before taking a taxi to Rockingham Hospital, where she was arrested by police.
The breach raised questions about security in WA’s hotels and led to a review of the Emergency Management Act, which was amended on Tuesday to give greater powers to security guards to enforce mandatory quarantine.
The spokesman said anyone who breached quarantine should expect a swift and strong response.
“Based on yesterday’s court outcomes, these offenders can also expect a significant court-imposed penalty,” he said.
Breaching directions made under the Emergency Management Acts can result in on-the-spot $1000 fines for individuals while serious breaches carry fines of up to $50,000 or 12 months’ jail.
Marta is an award-winning photographer and journalist with a focus on social justice issues and local government.